Saturday, June 23, 2007

Do we have to follow rituals?

After my previous post on placing our will at the disposal of God, I retired to bed pondering over the Sunday’s function in which I and my husband are officially (?) surrendering at the feet of Lord Vishnu preceded by some religious rituals.

I am not going to elaborate on the rites and its outcome but let me outline the philosophy behind it. The meaning behind our surrender is to dedicate all the results (be it good or bad.) of our actions to the God.

In our family circle, we sometimes debate on the philosophies of Hinduism and Buddhism and many times, the exchange of views between us revealed similarities on certain basic tenets.

Without going into all the details, I will cite only one example between these two religions and that is idol worship. Personally, I think Buddhism is simpler in its philosophy.

I have answered a question on Blurt it. The question is, “Buddhism is more philosophy than religion. What are your thought on it? The answer is my own opinion and I am aware there may be a difference to it.

In all religion, we should try to understand the inner meaning or the essence of it and how the rituals help in making us understand the philosophy of the religion.

Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

No comments: